.:A41:. Homepage-

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
HaviK
KillaH™
6 posters

Day of Defeat: Source

KillaH™
    KillaH™
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 849
    Job/hobbies : CSS!
    Steam : killah54
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Day of Defeat: Source Empty Day of Defeat: Source

Post by KillaH™ Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:26 am

Day of Defeat: Source 00144389

DOD:S is a Half-Life 2's updated version of the original WWII class based FPS Day of Defeat. Right away after loading the game up, you will notice that it is very similar to the original with selectable classes that each has their own unique weapon based on that class. You have the Rifleman, Assault, Support, Sniper, Machine Gunner and Rocket Soldier, plus you have two distinct sides (armies): The Americans and the Wermacht. Each side has their set of weapons based on the type of weapons used by that country in the real war, like the Americans using the Thompson and Springfield rifle, while the Germans using the MP40 and the KAR98. The very realistic weapon models and distinctive weapon sounds drags you deeper into liking this game.

The game comes with 4 maps that allow for all the classes to be useful and fun to play. Snaking alleyways, multi leveled bombed out buildings, and windows/balconies allow for many firing positions. Every map revolves around choke points that make teamwork with in your classes essential if you want your team to win the game, unlike other games where one class can dominate a map. The objective of every map is to acquire and hold all check points on the map. This puts a lot of emphasis on strategy and less on frag counts. That does not mean that the frag only players won’t have a blast, they will just have to get used to dying as much as they kill. Without health packs, you can not survive very long if you are getting into the fray all the time.

It does not take long to figure out the maps and once you have done that, you will find yourself right in the middle of fast paced fire fights. It stays quite fast paced because once you die you only have a few seconds before you get to respawn again and get back to helping your buddies take that next point. This insures that the game stays a bit more fun because even if you are not good at the game yet, you still get to play the game instead of sitting in FPS limbo until the round ends like some FPS games. You can also get revenge on the person that killed you if you can get back to them quick enough after you respawn, which is always very satisfying.

The sniper scope can make for deadly accuracy Gaining an edge by taking a higher vantage point

The Original DOD had a reputation for realistic gunplay and DOD:S should continue with that reputation. No matter the class you choose, you should feel that you will be effective in the situations in which that class was meant for, snipers sitting on balconies taking out long range targets, machine gunners setting up just back of a choke point to lay a steam of bullets at anyone that comes around the corner and assault laying smoke and capturing check points. The kits each class gets enhances these class situations even more, with the assault class getting a main gun melee attack (useful for someone that is in the fight a lot), the machine gunner able to mount his gun on the ground or window ledge for extremely stead aim and the sniper actually NOT getting any in close weapons other than a pistol which keeps them in sniping position where they are supposed to be.

With just an hour of practicing, you should be able to hone your skills with a few different classes. They all can be very effective at killing an enemy in their own way. The assault can use their smoke grenade and then rush through the smoke catching their enemies off guard. The support has two frag grenades that come in handy when clearing out a building and their machine gun can take out multiple enemies in just one clip. The sniper’s sniper rifle is deadly if you can lay down to steady your aim and then just pop the heads off enemies as they appear in your zoomed in sniper scope. The rifleman’s bullet fired grenades are just the thing when you want to drop a grenade all the way at the other end of a street where a few snipers/machine gunners are set up. The machine gunner can plant his gun almost anywhere in order to just send a steady stream of bullets with deadly accuracy, be careful not to over heat the gun though. Last but not least is the rocket man whose shoulder held rocket launcher can take out a few enemies with just one shot. Just watch out, with the rocket launcher on your shoulder, you sure do move very slow and make a great target for snipers.

If you have not done so already, you will probably notice that the Source engine has made the world of DOD a very nice place to kill your enemies in. The graphics and textures are quite realistic, which makes you feel more drawn into the action. The new engine allows for great shadowing, the ability to hide in the darkness of a doorway and wonderful smoke that can mask you easily from the enemy eyes. A good attention to detail is apparent through each map, that is if you have time to notice the little things while getting shot. With a good graphics card cranked up to high, you will be just blown away by some of the things you will see in each map. Try shooting at the signs hanging over doors or maybe just check out the little potted flower plant.

Day of Defeat: Source Winning is more fun than losing

Top game moment: Ripping through enemy after enemy with a well set up mounted machine gun.

The only limitations to the game so far would be the lacking in new quality maps. In time you may find that the game play becomes a little repetitive since every server you play on is playing the exact same four maps in the same rotation. Hopefully like the original, new quality maps will become available, keeping the great game going for a long time. The new graphics, fast paced game play, fun to play every class and good balancing of the weapon kits all bring Day of Defeat:Source to the front of the pack for WWII games on the market at the moment. Even though this is a retail addition to HL2, it is still a mod at heart. Hopefully this will lay a good foundation for a strong community to have another good game for a long time to come. Either way, for $20 there is a lot of fun to be had here until you drop your next chunk of change
    HaviK
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 519
    Steam : SuperPhoeniX999R
    Registration date : 2008-05-03

Day of Defeat: Source Empty Re: Day of Defeat: Source

Post by HaviK Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 am

I love this game! It's one of my favourites. But to be honest, the people that play this game, take it to seriously. As if they were gonna die if they lost the round.
    T3rM1NAt0R
    T3rM1NAt0R
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 295
    Job/hobbies : Forums, Games, School, Parties, Girls, etc
    Steam : T3rmy123
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by T3rM1NAt0R Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:31 am

i dont like this game to realistic Day of Defeat: Source 825493 but its kind of fun i guess
    7h3_7hin9
    7h3_7hin9
    Super Mod
    Super Mod

Male
    Number of posts : 228
    Job/hobbies : Games
    Steam : the_thing15
    Registration date : 2008-07-16

Post by 7h3_7hin9 Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 am

Since the game got moved to the orange box engine, I don't like it.

7/10
    HaviK
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by HaviK Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 am

7h3_7hin9 wrote:Since the game got moved to the orange box engine, I don't like it.

7/10

Lol no i didnt, and Orange Box engine runs on Source. lmao
    voga_3
    voga_3

Male
    Number of posts : 15
    Steam : voga_3
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by voga_3 Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:23 pm

wow... i liked this game.... damn ping is too high
    anyone play this game?
    KillaH™
    KillaH™
    Admin
    Admin

Male
    Number of posts : 849
    Job/hobbies : CSS!
    Steam : killah54
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Post by KillaH™ Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:42 pm

voga_3 wrote:wow... i liked this game.... damn ping is too high
    anyone play this game?

used too like you said ping gets out of hand Day of Defeat: Source 570577
    HaviK
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by HaviK Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:54 pm

I get 25 - 35 ping... But I use regular Steam for DoD:S
    7h3_7hin9
    7h3_7hin9
    Super Mod
    Super Mod

Male
    Number of posts : 228
    Job/hobbies : Games
    Steam : the_thing15
    Registration date : 2008-07-16

Post by 7h3_7hin9 Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm

HaviK wrote:I get 25 - 35 ping... But I use regular Steam for DoD:S

Same here.
    NUMBER1SHOT
    NUMBER1SHOT

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2008-11-08

Post by NUMBER1SHOT Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:23 am

i play sometimes

but i got really bored of it i wanted to surf :P

but maby now and again
    HaviK
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by HaviK Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 am

lol surf in dods, that'll be amazing!
    NUMBER1SHOT
    NUMBER1SHOT

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2008-11-08

Post by NUMBER1SHOT Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:08 pm

XD surfing with an MG in youre hand

:P equivalent to an AWP XD
    HaviK
    Admin
    Admin

Male

Post by HaviK Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:53 pm

lol i should try that

DODS ROCKS! but nothing can beat DODC (CLASSIC)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:54 am